The Orientation Sustainability Coordinator position involves a great deal of planning and coordination. Orientation activities are the largest and most memorable events on campus. It will be the task and responsibility of the Orientation Sustainability Coordinator to collaborate with the CSU Sustainability Coordinator and CSU Student Life Coordinator, as well as the Orientation team in the process of planning and executing orientation events to ensure Orientation is as waste-free and sustainable as possible. The Sustainability Orientation Coordinator will contribute knowledge, research, and help with coordination during the planning stages of Orientation and will assist with the on-site logistics during Orientation itself. The Orientation Sustainability Coordinator will be expected, but not limited to: take a co-leadership role in the mobilization of volunteers for the creation of a "Rethink Waste Team" with the Sustainability Coordinator for orientation. Also, making sure Annex E of the CSU By laws are implemented during the planning and executing of Orientation, ensure Orientation is as waste-free as possible, and assure that as many purchases and sponsors are environmentally friendly, socially just, and/or are as economically fair as possible. The Orientation Sustainability Coordinator will also be in charge of performing a waste audit and post-mortem report for Orientation with the help of the Sustainability Coordinator and Student Life Coordinator.
All applicants should be available to work up to 35 hours a week during the summer (with some work weeks having less hours at the beginning (20-25 hours)) and then full time (at least 40 hours/week) during Orientation (the first two weeks of September). The last two weeks of September and first week of October will be spent working part-time (20-25 hours) to write a post-mortem report with the orientation team.
Collaborate with the CSU Sustainability Coordinator to:
- Fulfil their mandate;
- Implement any CSU policy relating to sustainability (including Annex E and the CSU Safer Space Policy). This includes sustainable purchasing practices;
- Research and contact sustainable possible sponsors, merchants, etc.;
- Mobilize and recruit volunteers;
- Organize and Advertising waste-free aspects of Orientation;
- Help with the organization of Orientation;
- Coordinate Waste Audit and write a Post-Mortem Report;
- Possible workshop development with the Sustainability Coordinator;
- Give input on Winter Orientation.